On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 12:07:16 +1000
Shane <ibm-m...@tpg.com.au> wrote:

> I missed the earlier part of this thread, but is large page support even
> in z/VM ?. Alan ?.
> I have a recollection that Mario Held from the Boeblingen labs said this
> has been tested, but only for an LPAR install. And I'm pretty sure I
> followed up on this and got the answer it's not even in V6.1.
> Happy to be proved wrong.

Large page support is not available in z/VM, in particular guest
support is pretty hard to do. But the nice thing is: you don't need
guest support to reap the main benefit of large pages. There are two
benefits:
1) Less TLB entries for the same amount of addressed shared memory.
2) Reduced memory overhead for the page tables to map the shared memory.

You get TLB saving only on LPAR with the hardware support but you can
get the page table savings on z/VM with a little trick. Allocate huge
pages like you do if you have the hardware support. Then in addition
allocate a page table page to map the huge page and associate it with
the huge page. When the huge page is mapped to a process use the same
page table for all mappers. Sort of a poor man page table sharing. This
trick works on z/VM and on older machines that do not even have large
pages.

> On non-s390 one of the big plusses is avoiding TLB misses. But given
> that I believe z/VM also doesn't support hiperdispatch, that may not be
> much of a gain on zSeries either.

I don't see the connection between TLB misses and hiperdispatch. Could
you elaborate please?

--
blue skies,
   Martin.