Van: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:linux-...@vm.marist.edu] Namens Caleb C Ong
Verzonden: dinsdag 15 december 2009 18:13
Aan: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Onderwerp: LUN numbers for DS8000

Hi,

Is there any way to determine the LUN numbers to be used for zlinux (redhat
or suse) installation.
I have a z10 with ds8300 disk.  Connected thru fcp thru a san switch.

storage admin gave me a four digit lun number x1600.  In ESS800, i just
used to add 12 zeros to it.
But that doesn't seem to work with ds8300.

I found this hint on the "how to use fc attached scsi devices on linux z
feb 2007'

There are three things you should be aware of when configuring the
TotalStorage system:
 New mask: For the logical volume number X’abcd’ the LUN ID will be:
X’40ab40cd00000000’.

So i tried LUN number 4016400000000000 but i still cannot add zfcp disk
using the installation gui.

I also found this redpaper on 'where are the lun number on a ds8000" .

How to convert the LUN ID in DS8000 to the FCP LUN ID in Linux
The FCP LUN ID in Linux is written in hexadecimal and must be exactly 16
hexadecimal digits. We use the showvolgrp command to get
every LUN ID in the DS8000 for each volume. All of our devices used only
the high-order four digits of the 16 hexadecimal digit LUN
address. We just add two zeros before the two-digit LUN ID in the DS8000,
and then add another 12 zeros behind these four digits.
Therefore, we place 16 hexadecimal digits for our FCP LUN ID into Linux.
For example, the LUN ID of logical volume 1000 is 02. After adding two
zeros before it and 12 zeros behind it, it becomes
0x0002000000000000. We can use these 16 hexadecimal digits as our Linux FCP
mapping.

I don't think i understand this, if you add two zero in front, then doesn't
that limit the number of lun  to just 255 for a ds8300 ?

Maybe i am not understanding this correctly.

Thanks.

Caleb C. Ong

Brabant Water N.V.
Postbus 1068