I think you are missing several things. (And jiffies are in 10ms
increments, not 1ms increments)

First, have you verified the accuracy of your CPU numbers?  Does RHEL4
include the steal timer patch and is it working correctly on both VMWare
and z/VM? Even with current levels of Linux and z/VM, the CPU numbers
must be corrected.

2nd, what is your target peak cpu utilization for VMWare, and for z/VM?
I would expect 50% for VMWare (Being very generous i think) and 90% for
z/VM.  So z/VM, the processors get an extra 80% of CPU seconds.

3rd, It looks like you are measuring one "batch" process.  Real work
would have lots of processes, switching between workloads at even 1000's
of times per second.  The cache technology in the z10 will be vastly
superior, and will provide better CPU numbers when measuring an
environment closer to a production reality.

Stewart Thomas J wrote:
Need some assistance on understanding a workload comparison. Here is what we
have:

We run a business workload (Java/WebSphere) for one week on an HP DL585 G5
server four Quad-Core

AMD Opteron Processors, model 8389 (2.9GHz) on Red Hat Enterprise Linux
4 kernel version 2.6.9.
This is virtualized under VMware ESX.  Using /proc/$$/stat, we see that
our process id consumed
23,525 seconds of "cpu time". We are basing this "cpu time" on the
utime/stime values (from
issuing a cat against /proc/$$/stat). Our understanding is that this is
giving us the total
jiffies consumed, and we are then dividing this by 1000 since the jiffy
timer is a millisecond.
That is how we calculated the "cpu time" in seconds.

We ran this same load on a System z10 EC for a week. This is a z/VM 5.3 LPAR
with RHEL4
running as a guest. On the mainframe, we see that our process id
consumed 25,649 seconds of
"cpu time".

We generated what we call an equivalence factor: 23,525 / 25,649 = 0.9172

Based on this, we believe that we'll need ~10% more z10 CPU cores to process
our workload
than we would on our comparison platform.

Question for the audience is - are we not understanding jiffies or the
/proc/$$/stat timers
for cpu calculation correctly? Wondering if we might be missing
something insanely obvious in
comparing cpu time (cores) in this fashion, or if this does seem
reasonable for a Java/WebSphere
workload.

For reference, we have someone in doing a TCO for our workload using
generalized spreadsheets
for the calculations and we are using our internal comparison and the
numbers are way off for
the total estimated IFL count. For an example of what I'm talking about
here, say we have 68
x86 cores for this workload. During overlapping peak times we are
totally consuming 30 of these.
Based on our equivalence factor calculation above, we are saying that
we'll need >30 IFLs to
handle these peaks. Based on the generalized spreadsheet calculations
from those doing the TCO
they claim we can run this peak workload in 8 IFLs. So essentially my
main question from your
experiences are if our own calculations make more sense or if the
generalized spreadsheet
can/cannot be trusted for accuracy.

Any advice or experiences would be welcomed.

Tom Stewart
Mainframe OS, Networking & Security
Deere & Company Computer Center
www.johndeere.com