Hi, Frank.

I've just installed SLES11 via the ftp method here on a z/VM 5.4 system and I had no trouble.

Two things to check:

1) I think you might have one too many "SUSE" in the directory path....use /pub/outgoing/Suse instead of /pub/outgoing/Suse/SUSE 2) what type of FTP server (Linux on Intel, Windows, Mac, etc.) are you using? There are known problems with the Windows FTP server not following the RFCs exactly.