>>> On 1/6/2010 at 10:18 PM, Sue Sivets <ssiv...@fdrinnovation.com> wrote:
-snip-
> Problem #2 - When I try to run yast2, I get an error message that  Xlib:
> extension "RANDR" missing on display "localhost:10.0" along with a bunch
> of other messages.

That is not an error message, but an informational one.  It simply means that
the X server you're running on your desktop doesn't support the Rotation AND
Resizing extension.  The other messages, which you didn't list, may have been
errors.

> I thought I saw something about Gnome in an earlier
> error message, and I did not install either Gnome of KDE since I was
> doing a z/linux install, and neither of these have worked very well on
> previous sles versions. yast seems to work so far, but I much prefer yast2.

You don't need any graphical desktop environment to use X-enabled applications,
just the X libraries.  Which, you clearly do have installed.