Mark Ver wrote:
Try defining a second cpu

DEF CPU 02

Or try doing a define stor of 2G or greater.

If I recall correctly, there was an issue found with parameter file
handling on RHEL 5.4 installer image that required such restrictions.  I
think this will be documented in an updated release notes if not done so
already.

But whenever I've seen that problem, I've been able to log on after
specifying the network info manually.   So it sounds like there is another
problem involved here.   Also as far as I know, the prompt into the Red Hat
installer shouldn't be asking for a password ...  is the session just
hanging?  Or is actually coming back with an access denied message?

Another thing to check is the protocol your ssh client (for example
PuTTY) is using.  It should be ssh protocol 2, not 1.

Here are a few things that might be a good place to start debug:
1) see if you can log in as "debug"  instead of "root" (should also not
require a password)
2) if using a Windows ssh client,  try logging in from another Linux system
with X forwarding explicitly disabled (small x flag) in case X forwarding
is causing some sort of disruption in getting the display from the loader
program.
     ssh -x r...@mysystem.net
3) press enter twice on the z/VM console for the guest,  this should get it
to display a console prompt, ex:
    sh-3.2#
You can then use it to do stuff like:
   ifconfig