On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Richard Troth <vmcow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rob --
>
> Some might let Oracle have one large "raw" LV instead of putting a
> filesystem on it (instead of giving Oracle plain files). So LVM would
> still be in scope even though filesystems not.

I think you got the terminology shifted. In linux speak you can put your DB on
- a file
- a block device
- a set of raw devices
To confuse us more, some people refer to the 2nd option as "raw
partitions"   LVM operates in that 2nd layer.

The 3rd case is what I would prefer. It bypasses the block device
layer in Linux (they show to Oracle as character devices). The
intention is that you avoid the overhead of the Linux block device
layer and associated page cache (assuming Oracle can do a better job
in predicting its own actions than the Linux cache algorithms can
guess).

> LVM is the way to go for managing storage spaces. You can grow an LV
> much more easily than a PV. (For some values of PV, growth means
> physical drive swap.)

For file systems, indeed. But when the database can manage its own
disks, that might be an advantage.

Rob