There was a patch worked up by Christoph Lameter that was never accepted
into the kernel.
http://lwn.net/Articles/218890/

On 2/11/2010 7:18 AM, Offer Baruch wrote:
Hi all,

One of the problems with Linux under VM (not just z/VM I guess) is that no
matter how much memory you allocate to the guest it will consume it all as
cache.
It just seems reasonable to be able to limit this cache to a user defined
value leaving the rest of it for the applications.
Sadly I couldn't find a parameter to enforce this limit.
So, my question is, is there a way to limit the cache? If not, why?
Obviously this caching method is just not good enough under VM.
Decreasing and increasing memory for a guest is quite disruptive and adding
100M to an oracle guest just looks bad :-)

Thanks!
Offer Baruch