From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:linux-...@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of
Michael MacIsaac
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2010 8:34 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: New Virtualization Cookbook for z/VM 6.1 and SLES 11

Hello lists (cross posted to linux-390 and ibmvm),

Marian Gasparovic and I are pleased to announce a new "cookbook"
entitled
"z/VM and Linux on IBM System z:  The Virtualization Cookbook for SLES
11". It is temporarily at the top of the page:
http://www.vm.ibm.com/devpages/mikemac/

The PDF weighs in at 4.5MB and 236 pages. The associated tar file is
only
17KB.

There was no funding/support for this to become an official IBM Redbook,
so we updated it "on the side". It is currently on my z/VM developer
page,
but we hope to finalize it on linuxvm.org/present (if Mark ever finishes
his promised review :))

The changes to this book are:
  -) The z/VM sections are updated for V6.1
  -) The Linux sections are updated for SLES 11.
  -) The REXX EXEC and XEDIT macro to help modify z/VM system labels
have
been removed as it is recommended to change the system labels at z/VM
install time. For reference, the section on relabeling system volumes is
slightly modified to describe performing the steps manually, without the
REXX EXEC and XEDIT macro.
  -) The "Servicing z/VM" chapter has been updated for z/VM 6.1 and now
describes IBM ShopzSeries, not IBMLink.
  -) The Linux system that does the cloning is called the cloner, not
the
controller.
  -) A section on the X Window System has been added.
  -) The penguin on the cover representing the golden image was given a
gold jacket :))

Some sections are removed in the release of this book:
  -) In Miscellaneous Recipes chapter, sections on LDAP, NTP, rsync and
CMM were removed in the interests of time.
  -) Details on creating a travelling /home/ have been removed, however,
section with words of wisdom, based on a linux-390 append by Patrick
Spinler, has been added.

Thanks to all who helped to make this project possible (see list in
Preface).

Feedback is welcome on or off-list.  Enjoy - you can't beat the price!
:))

"Mike MacIsaac" <mike...@us.ibm.com>   (845) 433-7061

send email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or