Some time ago it was asserted that there was an issue within the Java 1.6 code
where an active timer loop was implemented in the JSDK for "performance
improvement".  Thus causing an IDLE s390x system to appear to be using 99.X %
CPU with HIGH CPUTIME for the java process.

I realize several colleagues were aware (GT 6 mos ago) and I've substantially
been able to stay clear of the 1.6 code, until today.  New apps are driving
this requirement.

Can anyone provide additional insight? Who is working on it?

strace reveals active function call in futex()
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futex

This appears to be 100x worse then the old kernel timer pop event.

Thanks in advance,
Gerard

gsh...@usl4:/rootvg/ibm-java-s390x-60/bin<mailto:gsh...@usl4:/rootvg/ibm-java-s390x-60/bin>>
 ./java -version
java version "1.6.0"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build pxz6460sr7-20091215_02(SR7))
IBM J9 VM (build 2.4, JRE 1.6.0 IBM J9 2.4 Linux s390x-64
jvmxz6460sr7-20091214_49398 (JIT enabled, AOT enabled)
J9VM - 20091214_049398
JIT  - r9_20091123_13891
GC   - 20091111_AA)
JCL  - 20091202_01
gsh...@usl4:/rootvg/ibm-java-s390x-60/bin<mailto:gsh...@usl4:/rootvg/ibm-java-s390x-60/bin>>

Gerard C. Shockley
AD Technical Services, Information Services & Technology

Boston University
gsh...@bu.edu<mailto:gsh...@bu.edu>