From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:linux-...@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of
Raymond Higgs
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2010 4:55 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Boot from FCP on vintage hardware

Tim,

SCSI IPL was an separate, orderable feature until z10.  If you open up
the
load panel on your z890 HMC/SE, do you see SCSI stuff?

Regards,

Ray Higgs
System z FCP Development
Bld. 706, B24
2455 South Road
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
(845) 435-8666,  T/L 295-8666
rayhi...@us.ibm.com

Moeur Tim C <tim.mo...@srpnet.com>
Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu>
03/18/2010 07:19 PM
Please respond to
Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu>

LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu
cc

Subject
Boot from FCP on vintage hardware

Hey list -

I've been hunting through IBM documents for this answer but so far no
gold.  Perhaps one of you will save me a lot of time.

I'm building zLinux images to use zfcp file systems as the /boot
directory.  This works well here at home on our Z10.  Our DR machine,
however, is an older z-890, code level unknown.  I'm able to mount the
zfcp devices on already running booted-from-3390-dasd images, but when I
attempt to ipl (this is as a VM guest) the boot-from-zfcp image it
instantly drops into a CP Program interrupt wait error.  There appears
to be no attempt (or messages) to resolve the wwpn and lun path
information that I've build into the image with mkinitrd.

I'm thinking that the z890 doesn't support a boot from zfcp.  Can anyone
confirm this?

Tim
tim.mo...@srpnet.com

send email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or