From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:linux-...@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of Tom
Burkholder
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 10:19 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: z/VM and z/OS sharing OSAs?

z/VMers,

My disclaimer is I'm not a networking engineer but I have a zVM and
networking question.

I can provide more details, etc, but is anybody running z/VM and z/OS lpars
on the same z10 and "SHR"ing the OSAs?  We originally setup the z/VM
proof-of-concept with VSWITCH but a single OSA to a CISCO switch.  Other
than a potential single point of failure, no problem, things work well.  We
have no spare OSAs (and would rather not purchase) but on the same z10 we
have a test z/OS lpar with two (2) OSAs being used connected to two other
CISCO switches (interconnected to each other for z/OS, but not to the
current CISCO switch with the VSWITCH).

If anybody is sharing OSA's with z/VM and z/OS lpars I'd be interested in
getting some more information or ideas if possible.  One of my biggest
concern is being able to keep the same 192.168.xxx.yyy currently being used
by z/VM on the single OSA onto the other OSAs/Switches if possible.

Kind of a high-level diagram of what we got:
zVMa lpar chpid 09 -------- CISCO switch XXXXXX using 192.168.xxx.yyy
addresses.
zOSa  lpar chpid 05 -------  CISCO switch ZZZZZ-a\
zOSa lpar chpid 08 --------  CISCO switch ZZZZZ-b/

I'd like to SHR chpids 05/08, not screw up existing zOSa, be able to
configure z/VM with the same 192.168.xxx.yyy addresses and update
VSWITCH/controllers to use active/standby on chipds 05/08 (and free up chpid
09 OSA).

I found the following pdf  to be a good source, but I need some more
information or help from the network side (e.g. can we share and keep the
same 192.168.xxx.yyy subnet)
http://linuxvm.org/present/misc/vswitch.pdf

Thanks in advance for any help, assistance, or ideas,
Tom Burkholder

Tom Burkholder | QVC Enterprise Technology Services
484-701-2173 | cell: 484-614-6226
tom.burkhol...@qvc.com<mailto:tom.burkhol...@qvc.com>

intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law.  If
you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail (even if the e-mail
address above is yours), (i) you may not use, copy or retransmit it, (ii)
please delete this message and (iii) please notify the sender immediately.
Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message or the taking of
any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

send email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or