Hi Ray.

I tried your script on some of my images.  Works fine, except when Oracle is
involved.

linux62:~ # ps -eo pmem | awk '{pmem += $1};END {print "pmem ="pmem"%"}';
pmem =1347.1%
I do have a lot of swap blocks allocated.  This is due to a batch type run,
that is run off hours.  During the day, when users are on, we swap very little.

So if this does include swap pages, I don't think the script would give me what
I need, during normal processing.  Do you agree?  Or am off track here?

Thanks

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> "Mrohs, Ray" <ray.mr...@usdoj.gov> 7/23/2010 1:45 PM >>>
Start up all your Linux procs and then run this little script.

#! /bin/sh
ps -eo pmem | awk '{pmem += $1}; END {print "pmem = "pmem"%"}';

It will give you a ballpark percentage of current memory utilization.
I tuned some Apache/ftp servers down to 100M with no ill effects.

Ray Mrohs
U.S. Department of Justice
202-307-6896