So I have a customer who I hold in high regard that did similar studies.
She defined a 16-way linux server in something like 4 IFLs. (I thought
she was crazier than normal). But results were "very good". The only
thing I can think of is that the scheduler in linux is so bad, that
letting the z/vm scheduler take over makes a huge difference. And most
of the spin lock issues seem to be resolved in later releases of Linux.
So as many things get "ROTten" when they age, so do some Rules Of Thumb
when given a newer set of parameters.

Martha McConaghy wrote:
We have an interesting problem.  We have a big Oracle database (part of our
ERP) running on SLES 10.  At the end of October, we will be doing our first
full student registration with the new system, so we have been running some
load tests using a program named "grinder".  I'm not sure how realistic the
tests are, but its what we have to work with.

The system is running in an LPAR on a z9 with 3 IFLs.  I have 3 virtual IFLs
defined for the machine, along with 6G of memory.  When they run their tests,
the memory and I/O seem fine.  The problem is that from the Linux point of
view, the 3 virtual processors get pegged at 100% load.  I can see from the
CP stats that VM is running very high (cpu load), but is not at 100%.  So,
it seems to be the virtual processors that are throatling it.

As an experiment, I moved the virtual machine over to our older z990, to
an LPAR with 5 real processors.  These are slower than the z9, but there is
much less load overall.  I defined 5 virtual processors to the virtual machine
and we ran the tests again.  The difference was dramatic.  The virtual
processors never reached their max of 100%.  The throughput of the
transactions was much improved.  So, despite the slowness of the real
processors, adding 2 more virtual processors made a big difference.

My understanding has always been that you should not define more virtual
processors than real processors for a virtual machine.  Does this still hold
when dealing with Linux guests?  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to
deal with the problem?  I'd like to keep the server over on the z9, but I
don't have any more real processors to add to the LPAR.

Martha