>>> On 10/22/2010 at 02:54 PM, Mark Pace <pacemainl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to start learning C programming.  When I go into yast and search for
> a compiler I see these lines. What is the differnce between these 2?
>
> *gcc43                *The GNU C Compiler and Support Files
> *gcc                  *The system GNU C Compiler

If you look inside the RPMs, you'll see that the gcc package contains _only_
symbolic links:
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root    root                7 Feb 21  2009 /usr/bin/cc ->
gcc-4.3
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root    root                7 Feb 21  2009 /usr/bin/gcc ->
gcc-4.3
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root    root                8 Feb 21  2009 /usr/bin/gcov ->
gcov-4.3
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root    root               12 Feb 21  2009
/usr/share/man/man1/cc.1.gz -> gcc-4.3.1.gz
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root    root               12 Feb 21  2009
/usr/share/man/man1/gcc.1.gz -> gcc-4.3.1.gz
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root    root               13 Feb 21  2009
/usr/share/man/man1/gcov.1.gz -> gcov-4.3.1.gz

The gcc43 package contains all the real binaries, libraries, and man pages to
which these symlinks point.  I'm guessing (since I didn't participate in the
packaging) that this would allow you to have multiple versions of GCC
installed, but the default one you get if you just invoke "gcc" or "cc" will be
determined by the gcc package.