From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:linux-...@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of McKown,
John
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 2:58 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Need "unusual" Linux ftp client

I download data from z/OS. And I do it repetitively. Basically, run a job on
z/OS to generate a file. Download the file. Process on Linux. Repeat. I do some
intermediate work on z/OS between runs. This work changes the output of the
job. I want to compare the output from the various runs. I currently do this by
starting up the Linux ftp client; do a runique; then get the file. This results
in the ftp client creating a series of file on Linux with .1, .2, .3, and so
on. What I would like to do is not need to remember to do the runique command,
but have it be the client default. I cannot change the z/OS ftp server's
defaults. Well, I could, but I'd catch you-know-what if I did. <grin>. Is there
some way to have the Linux ftp client do this for me? Why not just depend on
myself? Because I sometimes mess up. And it only takes once to overwrite a
file. Is there some other way to do this?

Oh, I guess that I could make an ftp step in the job with an sunique and
reverse the roles. However, I'm not actually creating a file. I'm creating a
SYSOUT report. And the z/OS ftp server can then make that available to the
Linux ftp client. Saves me from creating the dataset and cleaning it up later.
I guess that I could do a GDG, but that's more of a problem than I want to
bother with. I'm lazy.

John McKown
Systems Engineer IV
IT

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone *

Visit our website at http://www.nyse.com

Note:  The information contained in this message and any attachment to it is
privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for
delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify
the sender immediately by replying to the message, and please delete it from
your system.  Thank you.  NYSE Euronext.