In addition to the other great hardware suggestions, on the software
side, that's a pretty old kernel version.  There are a couple dozen
OOM-related fixes in post RHEL 4.4 kernels.  I'd recommend sending your
sysreport to Red Hat support, so they can tell you the minimum kernel
version to use.  Or I'd recommend trying the latest RHEL 4 kernel
(2.6.9-89).  In a way it's good it locks up so often, because you'll
know pretty quickly if the new kernel version helps.  You know, glass
half full and all..  ;)

-Brad

--
Brad Hinson<bhin...@redhat.com>
Worldwide System z Sales, Strategy, Marketing