Mark,  it's sent.   Thanks for the help.  Once the solution is found,
I will post the relevent deails here just in case someone has a
similar issue.

we got around the issue on one server via this (from our main mainfame
guy)  but it did not get rid of the manual intervention clicking
"Cancel", nor did it fix other servers.

It appears that Parallel Access Volumes (PAV) is the issue. When
systems are built, the volume needs to be formatted from a z/VM
perspective on the BASE volume and not the PAV. I ensured that the PAV
was offline, reformatted just Cylinder 0 (LABEL) and asked you to
retry. The PAV can be brought online after the Linux formatting is
complete.