Mark and Scott,

Well I apparently did call it home-vg.  That's what the 'lvs' command shows.
Although, I'm pretty sure I didn't do it intentionally.

I'll have to try Mark's rename process.

Dave

Dave Stuart
Prin. Info. Systems Support Analyst
County of Ventura, CA
805-662-6731
david.stu...@ventura.org>>> "Mark Post" <mp...@novell.com> 1/6/2011 11:32 AM >>>
>>> On 1/6/2011 at 02:23 PM, David Stuart <david.stu...@ventura.org> wrote:
> Morning again,
>
> New linux admin here.
>
> I've added a new volume to the Volume group, and now I am trying to extend a
> logical volume.
>
> I'm following section 11.3 of the SLES 11 SP 1 Virtualization Cookbook, page
> 199.
>
> A df -h /home (which is the 'volume' I want to extend) shows:
>
> galileo:~ # df -h /home
> /dev/mapper/system_vg-home--vg
>                       148M   17M  124M  12% /home
>

> When I try the lvextend command, I receive the following:
>
> galileo:~ # lvextend -l +586 /dev/system_vg/home
>   Logical volume home not found in volume group system_vg

It looks like you actually named the LV home-vg, not home.  A simple "lvs"
command will show if that is true or not.  If you want to change those names,
you can unmount the LV, then
lvchange -a n /dev/system_vg/old-lv-name
lvrename /dev/system_vg/old-lv-name /dev/system_vg/new-lv-name
lvchange -a y /dev/system_vg/new-lv-name
mount /dev/system_vg/new-lv-name /mountpoint

Then make sure to update /etc/fstab to reflect the new name(s).