On Monday, 01/31/2011 at 05:22 EST, Kyle Stewart
<kyle.stew...@zionsbancorp.com> wrote:
> > We have been struggling trying to get our z/VM & z/OS systems to talk
via
> > hipersockets to our RHEL5.3 Linux (under z/VM 6.1).  We can ping out
from
> > Linux to VM or to z/OS, but when we ping into Linux from z/VM & z/OS
the
> > 'tcpdump -I hsi0 ip proto \\icmp'  on the Linux only shows the request
> > received.  No reply is sent from Linux back.  The z/OS, z/VM, and
Linux
> have
> > OSAs to reach the world.  The OSA address for z/VM & z/OS is what
comes
> > across the hsi0 ping.
> >
> > We need to bring customer requests in to the OSA - VSWITCH - Linux -
hsi0
> -
> > z/OS and back through the process.  We are quite perplexed.  Any help
> would
> > be greatly appreciated.

Just looking at this again.  Since you didn't see the ICMP ECHO RESPONSE
1.  The ECHO RESPONSE went out over another interface, OR
2.  The ECHO RESPONSE didn't go out at all.

Remove the -I hsi0 filter and see what you see.  It is also interesting to
see the ORIGIN IP address in incoming the ECHO REQUEST.  This may have
something to do with the IP addresses z/VM and z/OS use on their outbound
packets.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training