The use of >(...) and tee seem to be what I need to pipe the output from bzcat
to muliple perl scripts. But I found a "bug" in my original:

bzcat data*bz2| tee >(perl script1.pl) | perl script2.pl

The stdout from script1.pl is piped into script2.pl ater the bzcat'ed data. So
I need to do something like:

bzcat data*bz2 | tee >(perl script1.pl >/dev/fd/2)|perl script2.pl

that way the output from script1.pl is send to stderr instead of stdout, and
does not end up going into script2.pl.

Again, many thanks for this neat way to reduce my run-time.

John McKown
Systems Engineer IV
IT

Administrative Services Group