On Thursday, 02/10/2011 at 04:55 EST, Jose Correa Saldeño
<jcor...@evertecinc.com> wrote:

> For backup over the same network  without affecting real time traffic,
Is it
> possible to establish routes to the media server over particular OSAs on
the
> same VLAN and VSwitch. We currently have two OSAs from the same VSwitch
to two
> different Cisco switches with the same VLANs.
>
> For this particular Linux Guest who's real time traffic is being
affected by
> the concurrent backups, we have it participate in a single VLAN as
access mode.

No, you cannot choose which OSA to use; the VSWITCH is not a router.  If
the OSA port utilization is too high, then you need to look at link
aggregation port groups (aka "channel bonding"  or "virtual channels").

There may be smart functions in the physical switch that will cause it to
move certain traffic to certain ports via the link agg. protocols.  I
don't know.  And, if so, I don't know if VM will cooperate in keeping them
there or if it will try to re-balance the traffic based on load.  (You can
define the VSWITCH with LACP turned off.)

Perhaps the simplest solution (FVVO "simple") is to create a 2nd VSWITCH
with it's own OSAs that plug into the same VLAN.  The guest would have two
virtual NICs and two IP addresses on the same LAN segment.  Their routing
tables can be adjusted to have the media server IPs routed over eth1 (say)
and everything else over eth0.  The switch will ensure that packets headed
for the IP addr associated with eth1 will be routed to the "other" VSWITCH
OSAs.

Hint: Draw what you want to have happen on a piece of paper and take it to
your network architects.  They can solve this for you, though you may need
more hardware to implement their solution.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices