Are you referring to XLINK?   If you define XLINK volumes and systems in
SYSTEM CONFIG - and XLINK FORMAT the volumes -- then you get 'LINK
protection' across systems.   From VM1 - attempt rw link to minidisk on VM2
that already has RW link ...   your LINK will get a RC indicating the disk
in in RW by 'VM2'.   (not which user on VM2 - just VM2)

Scott Rohling