Mark,

Yes, they can sign on successfully.  The failing user-id is oracle, which we
used to install the oracle DB.

If I do a "ftp 127.0.0.1" it connects, but when I sign on, it still gives me
the login failed message.

I don't have a local firewall configured/active.  I do have the proxy
configured, because without it, I can't get outside our local network.

Beyond that, I don't know what else to look for.  What's puzzling is that my
user-id works.  But it was configured before I configured/activated vsftpd.
The oracle is was set up after I configured vsftpd.  if that matters.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Stuart
Prin. Info. Systems Support Analyst
County of Ventura, CA
805-662-6731
david.stu...@ventura.org>>> "Mark Ver" <mark...@us.ibm.com> 2/17/2011 3:45 PM

Are the users able to successfully login (ssh, telnet) to the system?  Does
ftp login work for a user local on the ftp server (like if they got on to
the machine console and did "ftp 127.0.0.1" using their id they actually
succeed)?   Cause if it does, it sounds like something on the network is
causing the problem ... like a firewall authentication, bad host to ip
translation, etc.  There are some threads on web reporting similar network
based issues.

If it doesn't work even for local connections, it's likely some
configuration on the system, like a non-existent login shell program, local
firewall setting or something.

- Mark Ver

office:  Building 710 / Room 2-RF-10
phone: (845) 435-7794  [tie 8 295-7794]