On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 10:46:18 +0100
Heiko Carstens <heiko.carst...@de.ibm.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 01:40:36PM -0500, Mark Wheeler wrote:
> > Greetings all,
> >
> > Is there a way to tell externally (command or otherwise) where the
> > zLinux kernel is loaded in memory?
>
> The kernel gets loaded to address absolute zero and uses a 1:1
> mapping for virtual to physical pages.
> /proc/iomem tells you which memory areas the kernel uses.
> This does not include kernel modules which get loaded into the
> vmalloc area which is a virtual address range that for current
> kernels starts at address 0x000003c000000000. That range (or better
> parts of it) gets backed with arbitrary physical pages when needed.

Well, the kernel image is linked with a starting address of 0, logically
it is loaded to the absolute address zero 0 of the guest container.
In truth the kernel image usually is loaded starting from either 0x10000
or 0x100000, the ipl loader strips the first 64KB / 1MB.
But the knowledge that your guest kernel is at specific address doesn't
tell you much, for a z/VM guest the memory is virtualized and for the
LPAR partition you are running in you have another remapping mechanism
(zoning). Basically the pages of your kernel can be anywhere in the
physical memory.

--
blue skies,
   Martin.