From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of
Christopher Cox
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:12 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Moving Oracle off zLinux boxes -- comments from the field?

Oracle is NOT supporting them well on zLinux.   So... there's both the
financial and technical reason.

Why would anyone stay with a platform that is not well supported?  Oracle
couldn't handle it, so they are moving.

Now... certainly the "false mindset" issue surrounding mainframes is an
issue... but I'd probably move Oracle too if they weren't willing to address
support issues in a timely manner.

Maybe it's time to change your database supplier??  You know, if if you have to
move it, I wonder if moving to something a bit more heavy duty, like a IBM
Power7 box was even considered...  If DB2 isn't an option, maybe Oracle on
Power7 would be a better fit (saying without knowledge of Oracle's commitment
of support there as well).