From: van Sleeuwen, Berry
Sent: donderdag 31 maart 2011 9:13
To: 'Linux on 390 Port'
Subject: mon_procd task summary data

Hello listers,

In the mon_procd task summary I have found data that was not what I had
expected. We are running SLES10 SP2, kernel level 2.6.16.60.

The fields for disk read/write (mem_pgpgin, mem_pgpgout) and swappages in/out
(swap_pswpin, swap_pswpout) looks like to be cumulative fields. So in my
calculations I subtract the previous value to get the actual KB read or written
for that minute.

After we restarted the guest in a different LPAR the cumulative VM data, such
as DASD IO and various samples, is reset so the counters start at 0. But the
fields in mon_procd look like to continue counting. So instead of starting at 0
they start at whatever value they were when shutdown.

Time mem_pgpgin mem_pgpgout
00:14 27747899416   5773305824
00:15 27747900536   5773311568

... guest logged off ...

00:19 27747901064   5773337360
00:20 27747905464   5773342720

Why are these fields not reset to 0 after a reboot?

Met vriendelijke groet/With kind regards,
Berry van Sleeuwen
Flight Forum 3000 5657 EW Eindhoven
* +31 (0)6 22564276
[cid:325312309@02022011-28C1]              [cid:325312309@02022011-28C8]