> My available tape drives are IBM 3480 (yes, you read that correctly!).

With drives that small, you're better off backing up to disk (if you have it)
and using an alternate method to back up over the network. At 180M per tape,
you'll be doing this forever.

> I am looking for advice on which software package(s) I need on SLES 11
> SP 1 to be able to detect, and back up to, my 3480's.  Total data,
> right now, would be 10 - 12 GB (the oracle DB has not yet been
> populated).

Install a Bacula server on one of your distributed hosts that has access to
larger capacity tapes and install the Bacula client on this LPAR. Much easier.

If you must do the backups from here, Bacula server and client can deal with
3480s directly on the Linux LPAR. Make sure that the tapes are moved over, then
activate them by echo "1" > the appropriate device address node in /proc. Echo
"0" to the device node when you take them away.

> Anyone know if Oracle can 'back up' to these drives?  Or do I need to
> have Oracle back up to disk first, and then back that data up to the
> 3480?  I'm having trouble finding this info int he Oracle manuals.  And
> if Oracle backs up to disk, such as an lvm, can I back that up
> directly, or is there something else I need to do, first.

RMAN to disk works fine (in your case, NFS mounting a chunk of disk on another
host would be smartest). You probably could do it directly to tape, but Linux
and multivolume tape is not straightforward, and RMAN doesn't cope very well
with it.