On 20/05/2011 15:00, Mark Jacobs wrote:
I'm attempting to generate a key ring in a zLinux environment using gpg
but I can't get enough entropy to supply the generation process with
enough random bytes.

Not enough random bytes available. Please do some other work to give the
OS a chance to collect more entropy! (Need 284 more bytes)

I've tried everything I can think of, and my zLinux support team says
that this is a known problem with virtualized environments. Does anyone
have any suggestions on how to get key ring generation to reliably work
on zLinux?

How strict are you about using PRNG output, rather than collected
entropy? /dev/urandom, or CPACF's /dev/prandom (not certain whether this
one involves any hardware / environmental entropy) don't block on read.

A quick Google search didn't turn up any suggestion of how to trigger
more entropy for /dev/random, or how to persuade gpg to read from
sources other than /dev/random, unfortunately. Have you considered
generating the keys on a different host/architecture?

Cheers,
Phil