On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 10:15:40 -0700 Donald Russell wrote:

> I'm about to build some new RHEL 5.6 systems on zVM 6.1.... the old
> servers use ext3 file systems, but I have the option to use ext4.
>
> Is ext4 ready for production use, or is it still rather
> "experimental".

I would posit that ext4 long ago moved out of "experimental". Not sure
of the status as regards (s390) RHEL 5.6 though.
There were some issues initially where Ted decided to "fix" some
errant (from his perspective) behaviour in ext3. Unfortunately some
developers had taken advantage of that behaviour and the change broke
user filesystems. Linus went off his tree at that, so it was
un-fixed ...   ;-)
Speaking to Ted at a conference a couple of years back, he saw ext4 as
a logical progression of ext3, but more as a step along the journey
to something "better".
He nominated btrfs as the successor.

ext4 is more attuned to large filesystems - have a read of the
following for a reasonable overview.
http://kernelnewbies.org/Ext4

Shane ...