Van: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] Namens Scott Rohling
Verzonden: vrijdag 8 juli 2011 17:41
Aan: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Onderwerp: Re: Linux backups and restores to/from tape

The TSM product will do file level backups (with FCP attached tape) under
Linux on System z .. but it's not free.

I think it's the tape part that's going to limit options..    if you could
deal with using disk storage for 'archive' purposes, then there are lots of
open source options..  everything from rdiff (as I recall - an rsync based
backup with delta archiving) and things like bacula.   You could perhaps
combine this solution with physical backups to tape of the archive data on
disk?

Scott Rohling

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Frederick, Michael <
michael_freder...@ibi.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A question came up about getting an older version of a file on a Linux
> disk, which I was able to do by restoring the DASD that held the file in
> question to a temporary disk and then they could do whatever they liked with
> the file, easy enough.  It got me to thinking about, what would happen if
> this were to take place on an LVM?  Having a dasd-level backup is likely to
> be of limited use in this case, because you'd more than likely have to
> restore the entire LVM to a separate set of disks just to get at that one
> file.
>
> So does anyone know of a solution (free being better) that would do a
> file-level backup for zLinux to a tape?  Or has anyone dealt with this
> problem before and had some other way around it?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mike Frederick

> visit
> http://wiki.linuxvm.org/