We have used direct connect SAN disk with NPIV and currently our production
servers use that method for the data lun whereas the boot and root are
minidisks on EDEV SAN disk.  Our initial implementations were all direct
connect SAN disk using NPIV.  We are transitioning to all EDEV over the next
month as we are satisfied it performs as well as we need and it buys us the
more simple multipathing and disaster recovery definitions in VM instead of
making definitions within linux for each guest.  We have never used standard
CKD. We do not have IBM SVC (EMC DMX3 & VMAX with Cisco switches).

For monitoring the storage definitions we use Velocity to report on the
disk.

Craig Collins
State of WI, DOA, DET