This is likely going to sound weird. But an idea has been bouncing around in my
head and tormenting me. Some terminology as I use it: "desktop" is my local PC
and "host" is the remote z/Linux. Now, I connect from my desktop to the host
using SSH with reverse tunneling for X access. Not that I run many X programs
on the host, but I like gvim vs. normal vim. I mention it only because ssh sets
up a reverse tunnel so that the X client on the host can access the X server on
my desktop over the encrypted ssh channel. Which means my desktop can be NAT'ed
behind a router and the host can still access it.

What I would like to have is a way to mount my desktop's $HOME on the host some
way so that host programs can access files on my desktop like they can NFS
mounted files on other servers. I hear someone asking "Why do you want to do
that?". It's rather theoretical to me, but suppose I'm a "road warrior"
developer. I would like to be able to do all my editing locally, without a VPN
connection or any other connection to the host. Now, when I do access the host,
I need a way to access my local files. Granted, I guess I could rsync or use
some other method to copy the changed files from my desktop to the host. But I
thought it might be nice to just be able to directly access them. Is this idea
completely bogus? My thought was do the major editing "off line". Connect to
the host to do compiles and testing. If I were to sync the files on my desktop
to the host, any changes I made during testing would need to be synced back to
the desktop. If I could compile directly from the source on my desktop, I don't
need to sync back. Once I like everything, I could sync to the host repository.

This is kind of the reverse of having an NFS mounted $HOME. Instead of my
desktop's $HOME being on the host, my host session would have a $HOME type
mount on my desktop.

Just a weird thought. Likely foolish. 35 years in z/OS and predecessors has
done damage <grin>.

John McKown
Systems Engineer IV
IT