On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Richard Higson <richard.hig...@gt.owl.de> wrote:

> haven't done Linux on Z for a while, but I have always used the same
> "Priority" for the swapdisks
> so that linux could spread out the IO to several disks (preferably on
> separate spindles).
> This works well on x86 (real & VMware) and P-Series

The OP is correct in using different priority for the swap devices.

The issue with Linux on z/VM using VDISK as swap is not to spread the
I/O (there is no I/O for VDISK). Multiple swap devices with different
priority is to force Linux to reuse blocks rather than take fresh
ones. This reduces the amount of pages that must be backed by z/VM.
It's also important when you have a mix of disk types (like VDISK and
real disk).

Rob