Where I know the answer to this question, generally.  I wonder if this can be
done in a very defined sitituation.

I have disk "/dev/dasdb1", formatted with ext3.
There is one directory on it.
That directory had about 40 files on it of a few megabytes each.
This is SLES 10 SP 2.

I connected to the Linux image with WINSCP.
I bought up that directory in one pane and in the other pane, I bought up my
thumb drive.
I wanted to copy the files to my thumb drive.

Instead of copying the files, I thought syncing the directories would be easier.
Well, I synced an empty directory to the Linux directory.  All files are gone.

In most cases, recovering deleted files is very dependant on if any of the
space or directory structure has been reused.  In this case, the space hasn't
been reused, but I don't know if the deletion of 40 files, one at a time, would
reuse the directory blocks or just mark them available.

Before I go too far in this....
Am I just out of luck?
Or is there a decent chance I can recover these files?

Thanks

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting