On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Henry Schaffer <h...@ncsu.edu> wrote:
>  Does this depend on the mail client?

And David and Mark already responded.  They're right.

The reason this comes up now is that most of us are using newer mail
clients (or services, like if you use the web for email but get the
same effect).

>  I'm also someone who will change the subject  when I want to send
> out mail to a group of addresses - and thought that with a new subject
> would start a new thread.

Used to.  Not anymore.

In the old days, threading was done entirely by subject because that's
all we had.  Message IDs have been in use for years and are now
ubiquitous enough to use for threading.  This kind of threading is
more reliable ... except we have to change our behavior w/r/t "change
the subject".

It's a little painful, but thanks, Chip, for bringing it up.  Needed
to be said.