On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 10:16 AM, Dazzo, Matt <mda...@pch.com> wrote:
> I believe both Rich and John are correct in that Cygwin X server is NOT
> running on my Windows box. There is no X in the bottom right hand corner. So
> I tried starting it with command 'startxwin' and 'startx' and got command not
> found.
>
> When I launch Cygwin and enter 'printenv DISPLAY' I see no setting, so it
> looks like I have to enter export DISPLAY=:0.0
>
> It appeared that my install of cygwin ran ok on windows. Any ideas? Thanks
>
> MDAZZO@MDAZZO ~
> $ printenv DISPLAY
>
> MDAZZO@MDAZZO ~
> $ startx
> -bash: startx: command not found
>
> MDAZZO@MDAZZO ~
> $ startxwin
> -bash: startxwin: command not found
>
> MDAZZO@MDAZZO ~

Hello!
You're certainly steaming in the right direction. The big problem is
that the folks at Cygwin do not tell you is that the setup routines
need to be run in install mode to install everything. Then for the X
server to be running there is an application attached to your task
bar. The thing we click on to bring up the list of installed programs
and stuff.

Look for an entry labeled "Cygwin X11" or along those lines. Inside it
should be the routines to start it. If its not there, then something
was not properly installed.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drw...@gmail.com