Hello everyone.
I found a lot of very useful information here but this time I have some
doubts so I decided to subscribe and ask.

Recently we upgraded our hardware (z9 + DS6000 -> z114 + DS6000 + XIV) and
we have to make some choices.
There is a chance that at some point we will have to get rid of DS6000 and
we will have to store store everything on XIV.
I know that it is not best choice for z/vm but DS is a pretty old guy and
maintaining it may become expensive.

But anyway, to the point.
I am building linux guests under z/vm (right now 5.4 but it will change
soon).
Data disks for oracle I will build using direct attached FCP/SCSI. It is
pretty easy to manage, multipathing is working fine - no doubts over here.
But what about linux system disks?
I know that in general ECKD win over FCP.  But does FCP win over EDEV when
we are talking about linux system?

I've already encountered some problems with direct attached FCP/SCSI. Main
one is multipathing when you want to use a clone/snapshot. WWID for scsi
device changes and multipathing brakes.
I can work around this but who knows If I am gonna be able to do this in 1
year from know, under time pressure when something happens.
In case like this I have to boot a clone without multipathing (option
multipath=off in zipl), update fstab, zipl with new wwid , reboot few times
etc, boot updated guest with multipath. A little dirty but works.

Now I am looking into EDEV. I know it can impact performance but it is
'just' a system drive. We don't need a lot of iops here right?

So the question is : should I stick to FCP/SCSI as much as possible or just
go with EDEV for my linux system disks (and put oracle on FCP direct
attached).

And I also would like to ask - what is difference between attributes "XIV"
and "SCSI" in "EDEVICE" statement? Both are scsci over fiber so why there
is an extra one for XIV?

Thanks!
Grzegorz Powiedziuk