On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 20:18 -0600, Lee Stewart wrote:
> Hi...   I have a customer running SLES11 SP1 and a layer 2 Vswitch.
> When we did the initial install, all went well, and all the clones
> behaved as expected.   They did another from scratch install the other
> day and it seemed to go well.  But when they cloned it, they started  to
> have network trouble, and it ended up that they couldn't have their new
> master Linux and a clone of that up at the same time -- even though they
> had different IPs.
>
> The problem turned out to be that for some reason the new master (and
> therefore it's clone) had a hardcoded MAC address (LLADDR=) in the
> network definition.  So even  though they had different IPs, they were
> trying to use the same MAC address.  Removing the LLADDR= fixed the
> problem  and both were assigned dynamic MAC addresses by the Vswitch.
>
> But the question was posed -- Why was it different than the first
> install?  I wasn't there for the 2nd install, but they say they followed
> the same steps and chose the same options.   And there was no LAYER2=1
> in the network setup files.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts on what they might have  done differently to
> cause the MAC address to become fixed on the Linux side?

Lee,

1. The LLADDR settings for qeth devices have been covered in several
bugzillas. yast-fixes went into SLES11 SP2. Removing LLADDR= for layer2
VSWITCH devices is definitely the correct solution.

2. The configuration for layer2 is contained in the
udev-rule /etc/udev/rules.d/51-qeth-...

3. The MAC-address for a VSWITCH NIC of a Linux guest is defined within
z/VM. It may change after LOGOFF / LOGON of the Linux guest. Sometimes
the LLADDR= specification in Linux may accidentally match the current
definition in z/VM and you do not run into network trouble this time.

Regards, Ursula Braun, IBM Germany