Dear Ray,

I host the SMT on a z/LINUX machine which is called installation directory.
In order to get enough disk space for the repositories, the disk is put on
a FBA device (around 150 GB) and setup as LVM in order to make it easily
expandable.

I host on that server s390x and also x86_64 repositories for the base
Product SLES11, the SP1 and SP2, SDK SP1, SP2,  and one additional private
YUM repository. Meanwhile we got about 80 rpms of various  programs
especially compiled for z/Series that are not available on the common
distributions.

Additionally I use the SMT server also as FTP Server for z/VM installation
hosting the installation media. The whole thing is quite versatile since I
can serve also our Intel servers from that installation point as well.

One goal of introduction of zSeries was consolidation of all services
"flying around on heterogeneous infrastructure" into one box. Especially in
the LINUX area we are on good track. Next we will consolidate our AIX
machines on zSeries. Part of the workload will go to z/OS (DB2 and
WebSphere) parts to zLINUX (Tomcat, mysql etc.)

Up to now I didn't encounter any security issues. The SMT is protecting
itself very well.

HTH

Kind regards,
Florian