In z/VM 5.4, we had two set of packs (a set consisting of a "res" pack with the
code on it + a spool + a page volume) that we'd alternate between as we brought
up different levels of maintenance.  We'd IPL off of the "res" pack for a set
and it'd pop in the single spool and page volumes associated with it--since we
only need a single spool volume and we don't really care what's on it from
before the IPL, this seemed to work pretty easily to switch between levels of
code.  But either we need to add another volume to our sets now, or I'm doing
something funky with z/VM 6.2.  I looked at this layout and put in my best
guesses:

                RELVOL/620RL1 - looked like code, so I used my "res" pack here
                RES/M01RES      - actually appeared to contain lpar-specific
data, so I thought it wouldn't change and put an "lpar" volume name here

When I first IPLed, though, it wanted that "lpar-specific" (RES) volume, which
I'm sure you guys all knew from the start.

Should I use a 4-volume "pack set"--one release, one res, one spool and one
page--now that we're going to z/VM 6.2?  or can we do one release volume for
the release, period--maybe that never changes while we're on 6.2--and just use
1 per release + the original "3-pack" set?  Does anyone else on z/VM 6.2 do the
volume-switching for code method we're using who could perhaps recommend
something?

Thanks!

Shannon Collinson - Mainframe Engineer (OS) - SunTrust Banks, Inc - 404
827-6070 (office) 404 642-1280 (cell)
shannon.collin...@suntrust.com<mailto:shannon.collin...@suntrust.com>

Please consider the cost of paper and the environment before printing this
email!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in
reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please
By replying to this e-mail, you consent to SunTrust's monitoring activities of
all communication that occurs on SunTrust's systems.
SunTrust is a federally registered service mark of SunTrust Banks, Inc. Live
Solid. Bank Solid. is a service mark of SunTrust Banks, Inc.
[ST:XCL]