On Tuesday, 08/14/2012 at 02:50 EDT, Neale Ferguson <ne...@sinenomine.net>
wrote:
> Is it signficant that the INT-PARM is 0 - probably set when device is
> online? Compare this to an active disk:
>
> SCHIB DEV  INT-PARM ISC FLG LP PNO LPU PI MBI  PO PA CHPID0-3 CHPID4-7
> 0007  0201 1F7EB400   3  87 80  00  80 80 0000 FF 80 EF000000 00000000

When a subchannel first appears, the OS will typically issue Modify
Subchannel to change the interrupt parameter to reflect the address of a
device control block or I/O scheduling element.  But until then, the
interrupt parm is zero.

(LINK and DETACH don't generate I/O interrupts, but they will cause
channel-report-pending machine checks.)

Because subchannel IDs (e.g. 0007) are "dense", they are re-used.  That
is, if you detach 201 and link something else, it will be added using
subchannel 7.  If Linux keeps any residual fingerprints based on
subchannel id, it could get confused.   But I would think that such errors
would have been flushed out years ago.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323
mobile; 607.321.7556