From: Linux on 390 Port [LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] on behalf of Mark Post
[mp...@suse.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:10 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: What is the maximum amount of memory supported by SLES10

>>> On 8/10/2012 at 04:58 PM, Ron Foster <ron.fos...@baldor.abb.com> wrote:
> We are trying to bring up a new SAP module.  The SAP support folks are
> requesting a 100 GB virtual machine be created before they will work on the
> problem.
>

> Would this be supported?

Yes.  The maximum supported memory size is currently 256GB, which is the same
as z/VM's maximum.  The Linux kernel itself will support 4TB, but an LPAR can
only go up to 1TB.  I don't know if z/VM has a limit on the size of any
individual guest or not.  I know you guys run some Linux in LPARs, but that
isn't much help if you can't assign that much memory to an LPAR for testing.
(I don't know too many people who have 1TB of paid-for-but-unused memory on a
System z box.)