On Tuesday, 08/21/2012 at 11:08 EDT, Lu GL Gao <lu...@cn.ibm.com> wrote:
> Based on my understanding, machine guests such as linux on z/VM can get
cpu
> resource by their SHARE value.
> For example, LINUXA system has SHARE RELATIVE 100. LINUXB system also
has
> SHARE RELATIVE 100. So LINUXA and LINUXB both has 50% of real physical
> processor resource.
> If LINUXA has 2 virtual processors defined in DIRECTORY, and LINUXB has
> only 1 virtual processor. What difference between LINUXA and LINUXB?
>
> Question1: my understanding is following, is it correct?
> LINUXA and LINUXB both has 50% of real cpu resource. Because LINUXA has
2
> virtual processors, every virtual processor of it has 25% of real cpu
> resource.
>
> Question2: As far as cpu resource is concerned, what difference between
> LINUXA and LINUXB?

For the answer to these two questions, please see the responses to your
same questions vis a vis z/OS over on IBMVM.

> Question3: usually what factor determines defining multiple virtual
> processor for linux guest? Application determines?

Yes, it is the application.  If it doesn't have highly parallel
multi-threading such that it can keep two CPUs working, then the guest
ends up doing extra work to deal with two processors without any benefit.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323
mobile; 607.321.7556