Hello list,

I'm trying to script the setup of a logical volume.  Here's some output
from the code:

running: lvcreate -i 2 -I 64 -r 0 -l 100%VG -n oradata_lv oradata_vg
  Logical volume "oradata_lv" created
running: udevadm settle
Mounting the logical volume /dev/mapper/oradata_vg/oradata_lv
Making an ext4 file system on /dev/mapper/oradata_vg/oradata_lv
running: mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/oradata_vg/oradata_lv
mke2fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
Could not stat /dev/mapper/oradata_vg/oradata_lv --- No such file or
directory

The device apparently does not exist; did you specify it correctly?
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Warning mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/oradata_vg/oradata_lv returned 1

So the "lvcreate" succeeds, but the resulting /dev/mapper entry is not
there. At the next reboot it is there.  I threw in a "udevadm settle", but
same results.

This is on RHEL 6.2.

Is this a bug?  Or is there a workaround like
"refresh-dev-mapper-entries"?  I hate throwing in arbitrary "sleep"s.
Thanks.

"Mike MacIsaac" <mikemac at-sign us.ibm.com>