Hello listers,

We've hit a pretty nasty bug in SLES 11 SP2 kernel at 3.0.34 and higher.
Basically the I/O goes crazy - like 4000-6000 i/o per sec - and the server
becomes unresponsive.  It's highly creatable by running a WebSphere deploy or
starting WMB sw.     SuSE says there is a bug in cfq and the work around for
now is to set elevator=deadline in the kernel parameters.  This does seem to
mitigate the problem.

It's got me wondering though what is the current recommendation is for z on
ECKD DS8700.   This doc
http://doc.opensuse.org/products/draft/SLES/SLES-tuning_sd_draft/cha.tuning.io.html
   says "On IBM System z the default I/O scheduler for a storage device is set
by the device driver", but trying to query what it is seems to indicate that
everything is deadline already (but it must not be or the parm wouldn't have
helped).  Trying to query with  cat /sys/block/dasd*/queue/scheduler comes back
always with [deadline] being the default, even if elevator= isn't specified in
the parms.   Is there another way to query it?

This IBM presentation seems to indicate that deadline is the default on z (but
maybe it's not now as of kernel 3.0.34?)
http://people.redhat.com/bhinson/pdfs/BestPractices_IBM.pdf

And some older doc seems to indicate that noop is the best choice with
intelligent disk subsystems like DS8xxx.

Any insight would be most helpful!

Marcy

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are
not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not
use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any
information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise
the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for
your cooperation.