One way to "talk" to a daemon is to use signals. Such as doing
something like "kill -HUP $(cat pid-of-syslogd) to tell syslogd to
restart an reread its configuration file. I've seen other daemons
which use SIGUSR1 or SIGUSR2. But that's like the old style beepers.
It could only say "call this number", but didn't tell you anything
else. Unlike today's SMS text messages which send a sound, the
originating number, and a short message. Is there anything
conceptually like this for telling a daemon to "do something" where
the "something" could be 1 of 100s of different actions (such as
restart, stop, dump status variables to syslogd, verify if a specific
user is using the daemon (logged on in some sense) )?

Or should I look at this more like, say PostgreSQL does, and listen on
a TCPIP port and/or maybe a UNIX socket?

As an aside, does anybody use UNIX message queues any more? I can find
some information on them via Google, but I'm not aware of any actual
application on my Linux system which uses them. Assume for the nonce
that I am only speaking of IPC within a given system.

--
Maranatha! <><
John McKown