As a followup to a posting over on the IBM/VM mailing list about using
dasd_configure to bring a device online and create the necessary udev
rules, I wanted to contribute this as I think having a separate rule file
for every disk device attached to my guests is just wrong.

Personally, I haven't used dasd_configure in years as I'd switched to
chccwdev usage probably around the time SLES10 SP3 (maybe SP2) came out.

All of our Linux disks are defined at address 1000 or greater.  Anything
below that address is a CMS disk and is detached in the guests PROFILE
EXEC.  So, Linux only sees the disks that we want him to see and everything
above 1000 SHOULD be seen without having to have another file to worry
whether it's there or not.

WARNING:  This works here.  It may NOT work for you and you may wind up
with an unbootable system.  Use at your own risk!!!

Create the following file and remove all of your existing 51-dasd*.rules.

cat /etc/udev/rules.d/51-dasd.rules
# Rule to add all eckd devices
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="ccw", DRIVER=="dasd-eckd", ATTR{online}="1"

Careful.  The ACTION line should be on a single line...watch for wrappage.

Now, all eckd disks will automatically be brought online at boot time
whether you use chccwdev or dasd_configure.

Yes, dasd_configure will still create additional rules files, but it won't
hurt.

Cool thing is you no longer have to use dasd_configure and you've just
given yourself several more seconds of productive time each year.  :-)

Leland