From: Peter Oberparleiter [mailto:ober...@linux.vnet.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2013 4:00 AM
To: Linux on 390 Port
Cc: Davis, Larry (National VM Capability)
Subject: Re: RHEL 6.3 DASD configuration

On 21.02.2013 15:57, Davis, Larry (National VM Capability) wrote:
> I finally got the Graphical installer working using X but now when I try to
> Install Linux on my DASD I end up with DASD accessed R/O when it was
> initially all R/W.
> No Matter what option I use I always end up with this error.
>
> Just prior to connecting to the new Linux to perform the install all
> DASD looks like this Activated DASDs:
> 0.0.0150(ECKD) dasdb       : active, blocksize: 4096, 54000 blocks, 210 MB
> 0.0.0151(ECKD) dasdc       : active, blocksize: 4096, 1746000 blocks, 6820 MB
> 0.0.0160(FBA ) dasdd       : active, blocksize: 512, 524288 blocks, 256 MB
> 0.0.0161(FBA ) dasde       : active, blocksize: 512, 1048576 blocks, 512 MB
> Initial configuration completed.
>
> After I do the basic installation steps and create a custom layout
> /boot   on 150
> /       on 151
> Swap    on 160
> Swap    on 161
>
> In the end I always get an error that a device is R/O and the process
> can't continue
>
> /dev/dasdx is marked as R/O

 From the available output it is not clear if 0150 and 0151 where formatted
with the CDL format (dasdfmt with default options or -d ldl).
Please note that the use of partitions is mandatory for CDL formatted DASDs
(/dev/dasdx1 instead of /dev/dasdx). By not using a partition, the filesystem
on the DASD will get corrupted, which can also result in it being re-mounted
read-only.

Regards,
   Peter Oberparleiter

--
Peter Oberparleiter
Linux on System z Development - IBM Germany