Posted this to the VM listserv; thought I'd better post it here, too:

From: Chase, John
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:50 AM
To: 'The IBM z/VM Operating System'
Subject: RHEL 6.3 (non-)install on z/VM 6.2 at RSU6203

Hi, All,

Trying to install RHEL 6.3 on z/VM 6.2 at service level 1301 (RSU6203).  About
midway through configuring the DASD in the VNC session, the installation
program goes into a "death spiral", aka "hard spin", aka 100% cpu loop.  We did
not have that problem on the other CEC, where we installed RHEL 6.3 on z/VM at
service level 1101 (RSU6201).  Both CECs have a single IFL on which z/VM is
running; no GP CPUs in the z/VM LPARs on either machine.  Both CECs are z114s.

Any suggestions what to do besides "give up"?

TIA,

    -jc-

Information contained in this e-mail message and in any attachments thereto is
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy this
message, delete any copies held on your systems, notify the sender immediately,
and refrain from using or disclosing all or any part of its content to any
other person.